Training for an Actuarial Science career at the University of Strathclyde
The MSc in Actuarial Science at Strathclyde is a 12-month full-time conversion course based in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, operating as an interdisciplinary alliance between the Faculty of Science and Strathclyde Business School. It offers a way into the actuarial profession for students with strong quantitative ability and aptitude but lacking formal background in mathematics or statistics at university level. The course has been developed to produce graduates who can clearly demonstrate an understanding of the models used in actuarial calculations, their computer implementations, and the financial and economic contexts of these calculations.
Accreditation and Subject Exemption
This MSc course is accredited on a subject basis by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, and students performing sufficiently well in relevant classes will be eligible for exemption from the CS1 and CB2 examinations. Successful course completion will enable you to apply to join a company as an actuarial trainee or risk analyst while studying for further professional exams.
Semester 1 provides a compulsory foundation in statistics, finance and economics. In Semester 2, students have flexibility to choose from a wide range of classes in statistics, economics, finance, management science, computer and data science. A key feature is the summer project, applying knowledge and skills learned to a topic relevant to the actuarial profession. Industrial summer placements are also offered on a competitive basis, which give further insight into day to day actuarial practice and can lead to employment opportunities.
The course is supported by an Industrial Advisory Board of practising actuaries, including former Strathclyde students. Board members and other actuaries have input to the course via careers talks and guest lectures. MSc students have access to the Glasgow Actuarial Students’ Society, allowing networking with other early career actuaries in training.
Why study at the University of Strathclyde?
- A 5-star QS-rated university and University of the Year 2019 (Times Higher Education Awards 2019)
- Scottish University of the Year 2020 (Sunday Times Good University Guide)
- WhatUni? student choice award winner for the Local Life category 2020
- The University’s ethos is as “The place of useful learning”, relevant to the real world
- We have an international reputation for teaching excellence, while Glasgow is a welcoming, vibrant and friendly city
- A city centre campus with many nearby activities, night life, shopping and cultural attractions
- A vibrant and cosmopolitan community of students from over 100 countries
- An excellent Careers & Employability Service on hand to support all students from day 1, and for up to 5 years after graduation. You will have access to employability skills workshops, many delivered by employers; a suite of digital resources to support you at every stage of the recruitment process, and confidential 1:1 support by professionally qualified Career Consultants.