An actuary is a business professional who applies mathematics and statistics to assess risk in a wide variety of contexts ranging from insurance and banking to health and government planning.
Our Master’s programme at Swansea University is designed to give graduates from numerate disciplines a grounding in the mathematical and statistical theories needed to become a qualified actuary, gaining key marketable skills in applying mathematics and statistics to the modelling of actuarial problems.
Why Actuarial Science at Swansea?
- Housed in our £32.5M Computational Foundry, the building is designed by and for mathematicians, giving students access to bespoke study and teaching spaces
- Our staff are experts in their areas of mathematics with the majority being recognised by the Higher Education Academy with a Fellowship or Senior Fellowship
- Our Actuarial Science programme is accredited by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) and successful graduates will gain exemptions from up to three professional examinations.
- Mathematics at Swansea University is World-Ranked Top 300 by the QS World University Rankings 2022
- Swansea University holds a TEF Gold Award which is recognition of teaching excellence
- 100% of our department’s research publications are world-leading and internationally excellent (REF 2021) and we are joint Top 15 in the UK for Research (Times Higher Education 2022)
Your Postgraduate Actuarial Science Experience
The course is based on the beach-fronted Bay Campus, making it an outstanding place to study, conduct research and make the most of your postgraduate experience. You will spend most of your time in our £32.5M Computational Foundry building which is not only for high quality teaching and research but also a space for networking and inspiration for students, staff and industrial partners.
In the first part of the course you will study a wide range of modules covering topics in actuarial mathematics and statistics. In the second part you will complete a significant dissertation project. Over the course of your studies you will be assessed by a combination of written examinations, coursework and the dissertation.
We have a fantastic Postgraduate Taught community and you will have all the support you need to transition from undergraduate to Master’s Level.
Actuarial Science Employment Opportunities
The career of an actuary is regularly voted among the top three job choices based on intellectual stimulation, impact, and financial reward.
A Swansea MSc graduate with exemption from several IFoA professional examinations and a significant dissertation project has a distinct competitive advantage to begin an actuarial career in insurance, risk management, or investment and finance. You might start with a role in financial modelling and statistical interpretation then progress steadily toward becoming a technical leader and business manager.
We take employability seriously and you will leave Swansea University with much more than a degree, gaining invaluable life skills and experiences on your journey. We have a dedicated Employability Team to support and prepare you for your future career. From mock interviews/interview advice to CV and cover letter reviews, advice for assessment centres, and suggestions for where to source placements and graduate jobs.View Swansea University's Website