Actuaries are the world’s financial architects and engineers. Their expertise is vital to the management of pension funds, general insurance companies and investment by financial institutions. On this course you’ll learn how to tackle the uncertainties of future events using mathematics, probability and statistics to create models and simulations. This degree will provide you with the technical skills needed for a career as an actuary.
The BSc Mathematics with Actuarial Science degree combines a programme of maths with key topics from economics, finance and actuarial science. You’ll investigate the applications of mathematics in a variety of contexts.
As part of this course you’ll:
- develop analytical and problem-solving skills, alongside expertise in the statistical analysis of risk
- specialise in statistics and actuarial science
- use our student centre, a dedicated learning and social space for maths students
- use mathematical and computational packages such as Python and the statistics package R
You’ll be taught through a combination of lectures and workshops by leading researchers in statistical modelling and experts in actuarial and financial mathematics.
This degree is accredited by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA). You’ll be eligible for 6 exemptions from the core principles:
- Actuarial Statistics (CS1 and CS2)
- Actuarial Mathematics (CM1 and CM2)
- Business Finance and Economics (CB1 and CB2)
This is the maximum number of IFoA actuarial exemptions available on any undergraduate programme.View University of Southampton's Website