Qualifying as an actuary is a passport to a wide variety of careers in insurance companies, investments, pensions, health care and banking – not just in the UK, but throughout the world. Kent is one of a very few universities in the UK to teach the subject.
UK Actuarial Profession accreditation
The UK Actuarial Profession is governed by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA). We work very closely with the IFoA and industry practitioners to ensure that our programmes remain up-to-date and reflect the latest actuarial research and practices. The IFoA has granted Kent full accreditation for all of its programmes, so there is the opportunity to gain exemptions from most of the UK professional actuarial exams. All of Kent’s programmes follow the new IFoA ‘Curriculum 2019’ syllabus.
Actuarial Science programmes:
- BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Science
- BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Science with Foundation Year
- BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Science with a Year in Industry
- BSc in Actuarial Science with Foundation Year and a Year in Industry
- MSc International Master’s in Applied Actuarial Science
- MSc Master’s in Applied Actuarial Science
- MSc Master’s in Applied Actuarial Science with an Industrial Placement
- MSc International Masters in Applied Actuarial Science with Foundation Year
- PhD in Actuarial Science
Actuarial Year in Industry/Industrial Placement
Our Actuarial Science with a Year in Industry/Industrial Placement programmes allow you allow you to work as a paid trainee actuary for a year, and put into practice the technical skills learnt at university and gain valuable transferable skills such as team working, problem-solving and communication. An actuarial placement may also count towards the work experience required for the actuarial profession qualifications. Contact us for more information about our placement programmes.
We recognise that finding a suitable actuarial job is one of the most important objectives for students and we provide extensive careers support to all of our Actuarial Science students.
- A dedicated module to help students to develop employability skills such as CV writing, presentation skills, interview skills and preparing for assessment centres
- Actuarial careers events with external speakers from the actuarial profession
- A range of other initiatives to help our students improve their work-based skills, knowledge and experience
- We have close links with UK actuarial employers and organise regular visits presentations from leading actuaries working in the profession.
- A dynamic actuarial society, Invicta, run by our students
Introduction to PROPHET
Kent has an arrangement with FIS Global, who market the industry’s leading actuarial software package PROPHET. As a result, students on all of our actuarial science courses have the opportunity to get practical experience of using PROPHET, which is used by commercial companies worldwide for profit testing, valuation and model office work. In addition, the PROPHET module marks also count towards the degree award.