MSc Actuarial Science (1 Year Full Time)
The MSc in Actuarial Science is designed for students from quantitative disciplines who ultimately wish to train as an actuary upon completion of the programme. The MSc can help fast track your career as an actuary by supporting you through the initial examinations of the Institute & Faculty of Actuaries, UK and is fully accredited by the Institute & Faculty of Actuaries, UK.
The programme provides a solid foundation in mathematics, statistics, economics and finance for future actuarial studies. You will also have the opportunity to undertake a dissertation in a topical area of actuarial science under the supervision of a member of the UCD School of Mathematics and Statistics.
The dissertation will allow you to develop an understanding of how the theory and principles covered in the Core Subjects are applied in practice.
The programme is suitable for students with no prior exemptions and for students who wish to add to any exemptions they already have. In addition you may also be able to take advanced courses in finance at the world class UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business.
Top school among Irish universities
UCD offers the widest range of Actuarial Science programmes in Ireland and has established a reputation for providing high quality graduates for the actuarial and finance industries in Ireland and internationally. The MSc Actuarial Science is accredited by the Institute & Faculty of Actuaries, UK and is delivered by qualified actuaries and other academic experts. The MSc Actuarial Science won the Science Postgraduate Course of the Year at the gradireland Higher Education Awards in 2016 and 2017.
Why study at UCD?
- Tradition – Established 1854, with 160 years of teaching & research excellence
- Global profile – UCD is ranked in the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide
- Global community – Over 6,000 international students from over 120 countries study at UCD
- Global careers – Degrees with high employability; dedicated careers support; 1 year stay-back visa
- Safety – Modern parkland campus with 24 hour security, minutes from Dublin city centre
Course Content and Structure
The MSc Actuarial Science covers the Core Subjects of the examinations of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, UK.
90 credits taught masters
60/70 credits taught modules
20/30 credits research project
The Core Subjects are:
- Actuarial Statistics (CS1)
- Risk Modelling & Survival Analysis (CS2)
- Actuarial Mathematics (CM1)
- Financial Engineering & Loss Reserving (CM2)
- Business Finance (CB1)
- Business Economics (CB2)
- Actuarial Practice (CP1)
Depending on your subject choices in the Autumn and Spring Trimesters, you may also undertake advanced modules in finance at the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business. Module topics may include regulation, corporate governance, ethics in finance, asset valuation, and financial management. There will be opportunities for some students to complete their thesis as a paid research placement with an actuarial company.
Modules and topics shown are subject to change and are not guaranteed by UCD.
As a graduate of the MSc in Actuarial Science you can look forward to a career ranging from the traditional areas of insurance and pension consultancy to the rapidly expanding areas of investment and risk management. Throughout your actuarial career you can rely on the support and guidance of the actuarial profession, and upon qualification you can expect a rewarding career that will continue to offer opportunities for further development.
The actuarial profession is a global profession with actuaries in demand in Europe, America, Asia and Australia.
“This course gave me the opportunity to acquire exemptions from the professional examinations of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, which are mandatory to become a fully qualified actuary. The research placement portion of the year for me was extremely beneficial with regards to my career as an actuary. It gave me an insight into the typical day of an actuary working in the life insurance sector, and also allowed me to show my enthusiasm toward the profession and my willingness to work hard to
achieve my goals. I would highly recommend the UCD MSc in Actuarial Science to those in search of a challenging yet rewarding year and looking for the perfect launching pad to their career as an actuary.”
Troy Tyson, Trainee actuary in the Product Management department of New Ireland Assurance
This programme receives significant interest so please apply early online at www.ucd.ie/apply
- This programme is intended for applicants with a degree in a quantitative area such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering or economics and/or finance. An upper second class honours or international equivalent is required.
- We will, however, consider applications from prospective students who do not meet these entry requirements provided they can demonstrate an ability and commitment to study actuarial science.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent.
Fees and Scholarships
Tuition fee information is available on www.ucd.ie/fees. Please note that UCD offers a number of postgraduate scholarships for fulltime, self-funding international students, holding an offer of a place on masters programmes.
Please visit www.ucd.ie/international/scholarships for further information.
UCD has accommodation for over 2,500 students across five locations. Places are limited and more information is available at www.ucd.ie/residences/
For information and advice on living off-campus, please contact the UCD Residences Off-Campus Office or the UCD Student Union Accommodation Services. Please visit
www.ucd.ie/residences/accommodation-booking-support/ for further details.
Related Masters Programmes of Interest
- MSc Statistics
- MSc Data Analytics (Online)
- MSc Data & Computational Science