Who we are
GAD was established as a government department in 1919. Today, we provide actuarial analysis for public sector clients throughout the UK. We are based in central London in the heart of the financial community, with a second office in Edinburgh, and currently employ around 90 actuaries and 40 trainees. We are a not-for-profit organisation.
What we do
Our analysis enables the Government to formulate national policy and manage public sector finances. This work is crucial to the welfare of millions of people both in the UK and overseas. We provide advice on a wide variety of topics in many fields.
We aim to ensure that GAD becomes a single, high-performing team that:
- Is recognised throughout the Government as a high quality source of innovative thinking and specialist advice across many sectors.
- Has substantially enhanced its reputation for efficiency and value for money
- Achieves high levels of consistency and standardisation in its operations and business processes.
- Is widely recognised for its development of analytical, actuarial and business skills in its people.
Our mission is to support effective decision-making and robust reporting within government as the first choice provider of actuarial and specialist analysis, advice and assurance.
Agile through technical innovation and flexible working to meet evolving client needs.
Dedicated to delivering timely advice and first class and cost-effective customer service.
Expert and focused on quality of analysis to provide robust assurance on decision making.
Partnering with our clients to understand their business needs and develop solutions that add value for them.
Trusted to deliver a professional service with integrity.
Who are we looking for?
Each year we recruit a small number of people who have the clear potential to become fully qualified actuaries and who will relish the challenges of our diverse and public interest orientated work.
Providing actuarial support to some of the largest pension schemes in the UK, our work is crucial to the welfare of millions of people. Our trainees are the actuaries of the future.
As a Trainee Actuary you will work as part of a team with qualified actuaries in our London office, to deliver advice across a broad range of areas such as valuations, benefit design, investment strategy and government policy. In addition to advising the Government, trustees and employers, there may also be opportunities to work in UK and international social insurance, long-term care, health, risk and insurance.
As your experience grows you can expect to have regular client contact. Client engagement and business development is also an important part of the work that we do, therefore, having a flair for people relationship skills are beneficial. To help you qualify as quickly as possible we offer substantial study support with generous study leave, discussion classes, and paid for tutorials, courses, exam entry and exam counselling. We also provide an internal business training programme to help trainees identify new business opportunities and to assume new responsibilities, including:
- A comprehensive induction and technical training programme.
- In-house seminars and professional briefings
- Managerial and business training including project management, team working, presentations, IT skills and managing client relationships.
- A friendly and cooperative working environment, where actuaries and senior trainees are enthusiastic about teaching new trainees and passing on their experience.
To find out more, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org
The Government Actuary’s Department currently holds the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries’ (IFoA) Quality Assurance Scheme (QAS) accreditation. View Government Actuary’s Department's Website