Who we are
The Government Actuary’s Department (GAD) applies the actuarial profession’s technical skills, consultancy discipline, high standards of professionalism and industry sector knowledge to solve financial challenges faced by the UK public sector. We are part of the analysis function in government. We are based in London and Edinburgh. We have almost 150 actuaries and trainees.
What we do
Our analysis enables the government to formulate national policy and manage public sector finances. This work is crucial to the welfare of millions of people both in the UK and overseas. We provide advice on a wide variety of topics in many fields.
Our vision of GAD for 2025 is that:
- We make a difference: our work improves outcomes for the public and helps the government achieve its objectives
- We partner effectively with our clients: we proactively help our clients where we can add value and deliver innovative, cost-effective solutions to a wide range of issues
- We are seen as a great place to work: we provide fulfilling careers for all our people
- Our value is recognised: we are widely recognised and respected throughout the public sector as trusted experts in the fields of financial risk analysis and modelling
Our mission is to improve the stewardship of public sector finances by supporting effective decision-making and robust financial reporting through actuarial analysis, modelling and advice.
In addition to core values of the Civil Service (integrity, honesty, objectivity and impartiality), GAD’s values are the beliefs and behaviours which define us as an organisation:
- Expert – we provide high quality, professional advice
- Collaborative – we partner effectively with our clients to understand and address their business needs
- Inclusive – we value and develop all our people
- Innovative – we are forward looking, continually developing and improving to meet evolving client needs
Who are we looking for?
GAD works across a wide range of areas, including pensions, insurance and investment, to provide solutions to complex problems faced by a variety of public sector clients. As a trainee at GAD, you will have the opportunity to work across the organisation and experience many of the different aspects of GAD’s work.
As your experience grows you can expect to have regular client contact. Client engagement and business development are an important part our work, therefore, having a flair for people relationship skills is beneficial. To help you qualify as quickly as possible we offer substantial study support with generous study leave, discussion classes, and paid for tutorials, courses, exam entry and exam counselling.
We also provide an internal business training programme to help trainees identify new business opportunities and to assume new responsibilities, including:
- a comprehensive induction and technical training programme
- in-house seminars and professional briefings
- managerial and business training including project management, team working, presentations, IT skills and managing client relationships
- a friendly working environment, where actuaries and senior trainees are enthusiastic about teaching new trainees and passing on their experience
The Government Actuary’s Department holds the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries’ Quality Assurance Scheme accreditation.View Website