We are looking to recruit an experienced actuarial analyst to join our firmwide Actuarial Technical Team, to be based in either our Glasgow, Edinburgh or London office. This person will be responsible for checking actuarial calculations and communicating results to team members and members of the client teams, contributing to improving the efficiency of our processes as well as developing junior members of the team. Typical work might include actuarial valuation calculations, funding updates, transfer values, accounting disclosures, risk transfer calculations and GMP equalisation.
This role is also likely to bring the opportunities to own and run strands of work within the team, take on management roles and contribute to team learning and development.
- Liaison with other technical team members and internal client teams to effectively scope out work and check all necessary data processing, calculation and statutory reporting work for the Company’s DB pension scheme clients. This will be carried out in line with an agreed process.
- Review scheme information, i.e. benefit summary, benefit changes, previous valuation data etc.
- Use Firm’s bespoke valuation systems to check actuarial valuations and run individual and global checks on the output.
- Work with the other members of the team and people in the wider business on ad-hoc projects to improve efficiency and develop processes.
- Working with more junior team members, and helping to develop their actuarial knowledge and skillsets.
- Take responsibility for maintaining knowledge on relevant industry changes which impact on day to day work.
- Flexibility to travel to other Hymans Robertson offices on an occasional basis.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Proven defined benefit actuarial experience. This role would also be an option for actuarial students who might be looking to move away from a consultancy role and focus on more technical aspects.
- Support for those sitting the IFoA examinations is available for those who wish to continue sitting these exams.
- Good/advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- An understanding of the legislative framework and structure of defined benefit pension schemes, commensurate with the level of experience in pensions actuarial work
- Technical ability to follow, understand and develop processes
- Active team player who can communicate effectively
- Keenness to enhance and refine processes where necessary
- Accurate and organised
- Ability to monitor, prioritise and deliver own workload
- Proactive in raising conflicting demands on time and adaptable in these situations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Logical thinker
- The ability to support and train more junior members of the team
Reward and Support
Hymans Robertson prides itself in offering a refreshing, stimulating work environment where independent thinking and new ideas are actively encouraged and where every member of the team genuinely makes a difference. Candidates can expect a highly competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including full study support for the IFoA exams, where appropriate. The firm is committed to the personal and career development of all employees and this position offers excellent growth potential within a dynamic and growing organisation.
Hymans Robertson encourages a good work/life balance and we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
Hymans Robertson is committed to equal opportunities and inclusion. We welcome all applications regardless of race, gender, gender reassignment, disability, religion/belief, pregnancy & maternity, marriage & civil partnership, sexual orientation or age.
Together, we’ve been building better futures for over 100 years. For our people, our clients and their people, our communities and the environment.
We thrive on tackling complex problems. And we believe those problems are best solved by diverse teams – diverse in skills, approaches and backgrounds. Our independence lets our people be themselves and think freely, while working in a collaborative, supportive environment. We love innovative, independent thinking and want everyone to share their ideas.
Working alongside employers, trustees and financial services institutions, we offer pensions, investments, benefits and risk consulting services, as well as data and technology solutions. With over 1000 employees and counting, we’re one of the leading consultancies in our field and are proud to be recognised by numerous industry awards.
We’re committed to developing our people and encourage everyone to carve out their own career path. We’ve many colleagues who started out in one team in the business and have ended up somewhere completely different, having had the chance to develop new skills and explore new passions.
Our hybrid working model offers the best of both worlds – home working as well as a fun, collaborative office environment – meaning flexible working patterns to accommodate individual needs. For more information about our benefits you can visit our iDeal.
If you need any assistance in relation to a personal requirement, medical condition or neurological difference during our selection process then please let us know.
Together, we can make this the best job you’ll ever have.
Our culture – We live and breathe our four values – friendly, confident, partnering and straightforward – and genuinely care about out people, clients, community and the environment.
Job satisfaction – Every employee can genuinely make a difference and contribute towards achieving our purpose – together, building better futures. Whether that’s helping our clients build more secure financial futures, using your 3 days volunteering or helping us reduce our carbon footprint.
Reward and wellbeing – We offer competitive salaries, a share of company profits and an award-winning benefits package. We also take your mental, physical, social and financial wellbeing seriously, both in and outside of work.
Flexible working – We trust our people to work in a pattern that suits their circumstances with a healthy balance of home and office working.
Latest technology – We use the most up-to-date technology and software to match our ground-breaking business solutions that make life easier for us and our clients.
Career development – There is no linear path – learning opportunities are plentiful and empower you to carve out your own career.