High level overview of role:
As a part-qualified actuarial trainee you will be supporting a portfolio of client accounts, providing high quality actuarial and consulting services. The primary focus is on UK defined benefit pension schemes working with both Trustee Boards and Sponsoring Employers. You will get exposure to a varied range of work that will allow you to grow and develop a career in areas that suit your own particular skills and interests.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Working on nominated client accounts, ensuring that work is done on time, within budget, and to a high standard.
- Preparing actuarial calculations, for example (but not limited to) in respect of scheme funding, company accounting work, actuarial factors and individual member calculations.
- There may also be opportunities to support other areas of the business (for example in DC, risk transfer, governance, proposition development and new business).
- Supporting the development of less experienced members of your team and checking their calculations where necessary.
- Liaising with client managers and team leaders where there are conflicting demands from clients.
- Developing and maintaining a good working relationship with your clients.
- Preparing client invoices within internal deadlines and subject to internal procedures.
- Ensuring all work is undertaken in a rigorous, accurate and methodical manner.
- Ensuring comprehensive audit trails are maintained.
- Being aware of deadlines and planning work in order to meet these.
- Maintaining a record of current status of all work requested in accordance with agreed procedures.
- Presenting work in a clear and understandable manner to clients, other advisers and colleagues where necessary.
- Developing knowledge of actuarial and pensions matters which are relevant to the requirements of the job.
- Timely and careful time recording against appropriate client codes.
- Adhering to the firm’s Information Security standards, policies and procedures.
We are looking for the following personal characteristics:
- First class interpersonal and client relationship management skills.
- First class organisational and communication abilities.
- Proven ability to manage multiple and sometimes conflicting demands.
- Able to co-ordinate activity within individual client teams.
- Driven and motivated to develop an actuarial career in a client focused consultancy.
- Able to demonstrate a proactive approach in developing technical, consultancy and management skills.
Qualifications & experience:
- A strong degree (ideally 2.1 or above) in a numerate subject.
- Making progress with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries examinations.
- Strong IT skills are essential, in particular an advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Relevant pensions experience.
- A sound grounding in actuarial and computing techniques used in the valuation of pension benefits.
- An understanding of the legislative framework for UK pension schemes, commensurate with the level of experience in pensions actuarial work.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Together, we’ve been building better futures for over 100 years. For our people, our clients and their people, our communities and the environment.
We thrive on tackling complex problems. And we believe those problems are best solved by diverse teams – diverse in skills, approaches and backgrounds. Our independence lets our people be themselves and think freely, while working in a collaborative, supportive environment. We love innovative, independent thinking and want everyone to share their ideas.
Working alongside employers, trustees and financial services institutions, we offer pensions, investments, benefits and risk consulting services, as well as data and technology solutions. With over 1000 employees and counting, we’re one of the leading consultancies in our field and are proud to be recognised by numerous industry awards.
We’re committed to developing our people and encourage everyone to carve out their own career path. We’ve many colleagues who started out in one team in the business and have ended up somewhere completely different, having had the chance to develop new skills and explore new passions.
Our hybrid working model offers the best of both worlds – home working as well as a fun, collaborative office environment – meaning flexible working patterns to accommodate individual needs. For more information about our benefits you can visit our iDeal.
If you need any assistance in relation to a personal requirement, medical condition or neurological difference during our selection process then please let us know.
Together, we can make this the best job you’ll ever have.
Our culture – We live and breathe our four values – friendly, confident, partnering and straightforward – and genuinely care about out people, clients, community and the environment.
Job satisfaction – Every employee can genuinely make a difference and contribute towards achieving our purpose – together, building better futures. Whether that’s helping our clients build more secure financial futures, using your 3 days volunteering or helping us reduce our carbon footprint.
Reward and wellbeing – We offer competitive salaries, a share of company profits and an award-winning benefits package. We also take your mental, physical, social and financial wellbeing seriously, both in and outside of work.
Flexible working – We trust our people to work in a pattern that suits their circumstances with a healthy balance of home and office working.
Latest technology – We use the most up-to-date technology and software to match our ground-breaking business solutions that make life easier for us and our clients.
Career development – There is no linear path – learning opportunities are plentiful and empower you to carve out your own career.