About the Company
XPS Pensions Group is the largest pure pensions consultancy in the UK, specialising in pensions actuarial, investment consulting and administration, with revenues of over £110 million. The XPS business combines expertise, insight and technology to address the needs of both pension trustees and sponsoring companies for over 1,200 pension schemes, including 25 with over £1bn of assets and undertakes pensions administration for over 600,000 scheme members.
We have over 900 employees and offices in 15 locations across the UK.
About the Business Area/Department
Our actuaries work closely with trustees and plan sponsors to devise a funding plan suited to each scheme – within the constraints of legislation. The Reading office provides actuarial and consultancy advice to a range of trustee and corporate clients and is part of a larger actuarial community across our other UK office locations. We use plain English believing that clarity is as important as accuracy in the delivery of actuarial advice.
Main duties and responsibilities
The main responsibilities of this role will involve preparing valuation results, carrying out individual member calculations, developing spreadsheets and drafting reports and other communications. You’ll have the opportunities to attend regular client meetings and support the development and presentation of our new market-leading pension scheme modelling software.
1. Attend client meetings, taking an active role where applicable:
- Presenting actuarial findings
- Engaging with clients on relevant key issuers
- Taking minutes
2. Undertaking/checking a variety of actuarial calculations in the following areas:
- Actuarial valuations
- Production of company accounting disclosures
- Individual benefits
- PPF levy
- Bulk transfer
3. Understanding the implications of the results of the above calculations in order to provide advice on matters such as contribution rates, levy reduction, liability reduction exercises.
- Drafting reports, emails and presentations to deliver actuarial results and advice
- Drafting member communications (e.g. Summary Funding Statements, responses to individual queries)
- Client management, taking responsibility for allocation and completion of work, and meeting deadlines, working directly with senior members of the client teams
- Maintaining a good understanding of relevant technical issues, including TASs, Codes of Practice, scheme documentation and the supporting regulatory framework
- Developing internal standard processes and identifying new ways to work more efficiently
- Making progress with the actuarial exams, in accordance with study policy guidelines
- Developing an understanding of the structure and processes of PFaroe, Microsoft Office and other relevant software
- Taking a proactive role in personal development/training, and arrangement of PDRs
- Attending and delivering internal technical training sessions and demonstrating application of learning
- Ideally, 1-3 years experience as an Actuarial Student, educated to degree level with a minimum 2:1 degree
- Good progress to date through the Actuarial exams
- Broad understanding of how UK pensions schemes operate, with an understanding of UK Pensions Legislation
- Excellent planning skills with the ability to prioritise and complete work in accordance to deadlines
- Strong IT skills with good working knowledge of MS Office suite of products, in particular Excel
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills. Confident and able to explain complex issues in simplified terms to clients and more junior team members.
We offer an attractive reward package, typical benefits can include:
- Competitive salary
- Participation in Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Pension Plan
- Flexible Benefits Scheme to support you in and out of work, helping you look after you and your family covering Security & Protection, Health & Wellbeing, Lifestyle
- Life Assurance cover
- Xafinity Rewards (offers discounts and savings from retailers and services providers as well as offers available via phone)
- Interest free season ticket loan
XPS Pensions Group is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages application from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief.