Who are we?
We are Unum – one of the UK’s leading employee benefits providers.We’ve been around for 50 years, currently protecting over 1.7 million people, providing security and peace of mind to individuals and their families.With a Fortune 500, US parent company, we’re part of highly successful global organisation, sharing ideas and innovations across teams to create a collaborative work environment. We’re transforming our business, and we’re keen to increase our digital capabilities to evolve the way we work and optimise opportunities for growth.
What will you be doing?
Hybrid, Dorking 1-2 days a week
We are hiring for our Trainee Actuary scheme here at Unum. You will be joining a talented team of Actuaries, have the opportunity to rotate through our Actuarial Teams and be supported on your journey throughout your studies.
You’ll work with your colleagues throughout the Finance team on multiple projects, giving you a broad view of the function and the wider business.
This is an exciting time to be joining Unum, as the business continues on an ambitious growth journey.
- You will move between functions to develop experience in the different Actuarial activities carried out.
- To own Actuarial work, understand the broader business implications and develop insight into those tasks and their outcomes.
- To pursue opportunities to liaise with the broader business and to develop the ability to communicate confidently and effectively on technical topics
Required Knowledge And Skills
- Degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, or subject with a strong mathematical/statistical element
- Highly numerate with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail and figures.
- Strong internship or equivalent work experience
- IT literate with experience in using packages including Word and Excel and be willing to learn further skills, including programming languages
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to liaise with and lead teams, ensuring excellent levels of verbal and written communication at all times
- Ability to work under pressure, managing own time to meet tight deadlines and managing competing and conflicting demands within your workload
- Motivated, enthusiastic and curious
- Focus on the health and wellbeing of our employees
- Work-life balance that suits you
- Salary increases based upon exam success
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Fully supported study programme that covers the cost of exams, materials and allows time off to prepare for exams
- 27 days annual leave
- Health cash plan
- 24/7 health support services (including a remote GP)
- Electric car scheme
- Opportunity to participate in charitable events
The Actuarial Teams are based in Dorking and like to get together once or twice a week as a team.
We have a number of the team who already work flexibly so please talk to us if this is something you would prefer.
Why join us?
Our culture! We aim to be the most inclusive, diverse and socially responsible company in the employee benefits market. With an agile and flexible way of working, we want to be a place where people aspire to work and where everyone can be themselves.
If you need assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please let us know.