Mercer is a global consulting leader in talent, health, retirement, and investments. Mercer helps clients around the world advance the health, wealth, and performance of their most vital asset – their people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about delivering quality service, love solving problems, and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the many job opportunities available through Mercer. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), a global team of professional services companies offering clients advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy, and human capital. MMC has over 57,000 employees worldwide and annual revenue exceeding $13 billion.
Do you have strong analytical and communication skills? Are you good with numbers and keen to work within a fast-paced team environment? And do you have what it takes to deliver solutions that have a real impact on the future of major organisations? Then it’s time to join Mercer as a HR Consultant intern for 8 weeks in the Summer 2016. We help businesses achieve their goals through more effective engagement of their people. We are looking for people who are interested in business but see businesses as groups of people striving to succeed commercially
We provide our clients with the strategic advice and guidance they need to manage, reward and engage their people effectively and efficiently in order to support the strategic direction of their businesses and their unique cultures.
Our team offers technical insights and strategic advice to all kinds of clients on the creation and implementation of reward and talent strategies and structures that engage employees enhance HR effectiveness and drive business results.
As an intern within Talent, you’ll undertake research and analysis into issues affecting business profitability, focusing primarily on reward (salaries, incentives, benefits, expatriates) and performance (profits, returns, market value) and wider workforce issues (role descriptions, competencies, job evaluation, employee engagement, internal communications, global mobility and HR systems/processes).
If you successfully complete the internship and join as a graduate you will have the opportunity to study towards the MSc in Human Resource Management, enabling you to become a Chartered member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. It takes two and a half years to complete and encompasses core HR practitioner standards. They range from leadership management, resourcing and reward to leading and managing change and considering the international context. This role is the starting point for an 8-10 year career track through analyst and project management positions to Talent Principal.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Obtaining meaningful, complete and accurate information from direct contact with internal and external resources
- Completing all numerical calculations in an accurate and timely manner
- Being familiar with business/economic issues faced by our clients and understand basic accounting concepts
- Summarising relevant findings and client implications into a clearly articulated and well presented document
- Writing draft reports and presentations which adhere to Mercer’s house style
- Drafting original client communications materials
- Assisting with the implementation of systems and processes
- A minimum of 300 UCAS points, A level maths at grade B or above with a minimum 2:1 honours degree expected or obtained in a numerical or semi- numerical degree (equivalent qualifications are accepted)
- An interest in human resources is essential
- Self motivated, with an eagerness to learn and to keep up to date with the investment industry, market conditions etc.
- Ability to work well as part of a team, with strong communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks
- Takes ownership for work, always ensuring standards and deadlines are met and keeping others informed and up-to-date
- Ability to maintain a good work-life balance