Do you aspire to join a world leader and build a strong and successful consulting career? Have you got what it takes to deliver solutions that have a real impact on the future of major organisations and individuals every day? Are you ready to be challenged?Mercer is the place for you. As one of the world’s largest providers of talent, health, retirement and investment services, from day one your role will contribute to the success of our clients as we provide them with expert advice on everything from pension schemes and investments to salaries, rewards and benefits.
The Bulk Pensions Insurance Advisory team is a specialist team within our Retirement Consulting business. The team provides advice to both corporate and trustee clients on a variety of pension de-risking / liability management projects, focusing on large-scale insurance transactions often involving nine-figure premiums and larger. Joining the team as a Graduate Trainee, you will work with clients to establish the best way to manage their pension liabilities, including devising and implementing competitive negotiation processes to help clients purchase bespoke bulk pensions insurance. Our team comprises of actuarial and non-actuarial consultants, so we can offer a diverse range of skills and perspectives to our varied clients. This ranges from locally-owned and managed businesses up to well-known global multi-nationals.
Key duties of the role are to:
- Work as part of a specialist project-based team tasked by our clients to broker the bulk annuity market on their behalf and support senior consultants at all stages including the deal execution phase.
- Analyse data and perform calculations to support corporate, trustee and individual decision making around the de-risking of pension liabilities.
- Provide input to Mercer in order to advice on pension de-risking issues, market and regulatory developments, both to trustee and corporate clients.
- Assist with the delivery of strategic investment advice including insurance product structures, provider selection exercises and subsequent implementation work.
- Deal with queries received from clients, insurers and other third parties.
- Communicate effectively to external and internal clients in a non-technical manner.
- Develop understanding of client needs in order to be able to deliver high standards of client service.
- Perform in accordance with financial targets and standards; time recording, budget monitoring, billing and all other aspects of financial management.
- Work in partnership and develop relationships with internal teams, across lines of businesses and with both corporate and trustee clients.
- Assist more experienced analysts and consultants in preparation for client meetings, including production of meeting papers and supporting management of actions.
- Ensure a high standard of professionalism and adherence to Mercer codes of practice.
As you develop in your career, our Retirement business opens up a number of paths that allow you to focus on your strengths and interests. These include becoming:
- A General Consultant and overall Relationship Manager for a portfolio of clients
- A People Manager, Business Manager or Consulting Leader
Requirements and skills:
- Minimum of 300 UCAS points, minimum 2:1 honours degree expected or obtained ideally in a numerical or semi- numerical degree (equivalent qualifications are accepted)
- An interest in financial markets and pensions
- Willingness to complete relevant professional qualifications
- Self-motivated, eagerness to learn and to keep up to date with the respective industry trends and market conditions
- Ability to work as part of a team and within a collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Relationship building skills and understanding of customer service principles
- Work well under pressure and strong time management skills
- Exceptional attention to detail ensuring quality and delivery in line with deadlines
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain a good work-life balance
In return, joining Mercer you will access to a number of benefits;
- Exceptional training and development opportunities
- Challenging yet friendly and diverse work environment
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive study resources and support
- Exposure to a wide range of clients ensuring a varied work load
- 25 days holiday with the option to buy/sell 5 days additional leave
- Highly competitive benefits package including pension scheme, private medical insurance, income protection with the ability to further tailor it to suit your individual needs with options including discounted gym memberships, travel insurance, childcare and retail vouchers and much more.
To apply for this role click the ‘Apply Now’ button below.