About the Job
Have you ever thought about working as an actuary and in the heart of government? Do you enjoy analysing large datasets and helping others to make decisions that will have long-term implications for the country?
Consider the role of Graduate Trainee Actuary at the Government Actuary’s Department!
We are the centre of actuarial expertise within government providing advice and analysis to government across a range of significant policy initiatives. We enable government to better understand and quantify risks and in turn result in better outcomes for the UK public.
We are now looking for graduate trainees to join our Actuary team.
GAD is a fantastic place to start your journey, as well as work on some of the most important and interesting problems facing the Government.
As a graduate trainee, you will play a crucial role at the Government Actuary’s Department (GAD) by working with other professionals to produce high quality advice and analysis for government. This will include actuarial advice across government in a wide range of areas including:
• applying actuarial and modern data science techniques to allow government to better understand and manage risks for important policies affecting the entire UK
• managing costs and risks across the public service workforce, including the design and operation of public service pension schemes
• understanding insurance risks and costs affecting government, including clinical negligence in the NHS
• delivering bespoke advice on financial and demographic risks facing government, including social security benefits
Our trainee programme will support you in reaching your full potential as an expert adviser within the heart of government, including generous support through your actuarial exams and opportunities to develop your consultancy skills.
Government has a wide need for actuarial advice which is growing over time as the world becomes more complex. GAD’s staff need to be equipped to work across a range of different areas to rise to the challenges of the future.
As a Trainee Junior Actuary in GAD, you will develop both your technical and consulting skills through our structured rotation programme. This programme will help you develop your communication, client engagement and project management skills, as well as your understanding of key actuarial and analytical techniques.
We also encourage trainees to undertake secondment opportunities and work directly with clients and colleagues in major government departments.
We are an inclusive organisation which values the strength of a diverse team, supported through staff networks and an active Diversity and Inclusion strategy. We encourage everyone to apply to join us.
As well as competitive salaries, we offer a substantial package of benefits:
- Extensive talent, career and personal development
- 25 days annual leave per year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service. In addition we offer 9 days public and privilege days leave per year (pro rata for part time staff)
- Generous defined benefit Civil Service pension scheme
- Family-friendly policies such as help with caring responsibilities, special leave, generous paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Access to employee assistance programme and occupational health
- Community volunteering programme, the opportunity to join a trade union, and discounted membership of local and national sports and social groups
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- Salary advances for travel costs, including annual season tickets and cycle-to-work schemes
- Complimentary BUPA health check for permanent staff
Sift/interview dates and location
Closing date: 10 January 2022
Sifting: W/c 10 January 2022
Interview location: TBC
To apply for the role, please follow the link at the bottom of this advert. The deadline to submit an application form is 10 January 2022.