Finlaison House, London EC4A 1AB/ Edinburgh Government Hub Queen Elizabeth House, Edinburgh EH8 8FT
About the job
The Government Actuary’s Department (GAD) is a well-established organisation in the heart of government which uses statistical analysis and probabilistic financial models to assess a wide range of risks facing the public sector. Using these techniques, we aim to enhance the stewardship of public sector finances by providing expert advice to government departments in areas including contingent risks, insurance, pensions, and social security.
We are looking for qualified actuaries to provide high-quality advice on various pension issues, who can demonstrate strong client engagement skills to partner with clients, develop networks and support wider business development opportunities. The role will involve managing the production and delivery of large strands of work across multiple high-profile clients within government. This will require strong client engagement skills, starting from the scoping of new analysis through to the communication of the advice. Successful candidates will be expected to be based in either our Specialist Actuarial or Public Service Pension Schemes teams, but will be required to support work in other teams as necessary to align capacity against demand at an organisational level
We are interested in people with strong business development skills, who will be able to partner effectively with our existing and new clients and to understand their needs and take forward initiatives for the development of new business, to broaden the scope of work carried out by GAD for existing and new clients and add value for the public sector.
We are an inclusive organisation which values the strength of a diverse team, supported through staff networks and an active Diversity and Inclusion strategy.
Please indicate your preferred team in your application form.
Please refer to the job description for more information about the role and the assessment criteria.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
As well as competitive salaries, we offer a substantial package of benefits:
- Extensive talent, career and personal development
- 25 days annual leave per year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service. In addition we offer 9 days public and privilege days leave per year (pro rata for part time staff)
- Generous defined benefit Civil Service pension scheme
- Family-friendly policies such as help with caring responsibilities, special leave, generous paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Access to employee assistance programme and occupational health
- Community volunteering programme, the opportunity to join a trade union, and discounted membership of local and national sports and social groups
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- Salary advances for travel costs, including annual season tickets and cycle-to-work schemes
- Complimentary Bupa health check for permanent staff
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check
Selection process details
Application deadline: 1200 hrs on 7 November 2022
Shortlisting: W/c 7 November 2022
Interview location: Remote