Finlaison House, London EC4A 1AB/ Edinburgh Government Hub Queen Elizabeth House, Edinburgh EH8 8FT
About the job
The Government Actuary’s Department (GAD) is a well-established organisation in the heart of government which uses statistical analysis and probabilistic financial models to assess a wide range of risks facing the public sector. Using these techniques, we aim to enhance the stewardship of public sector finances by providing expert advice to government departments in areas including contingent risks, insurance, pensions, and social security.
You will be a key member of one of GAD’s internal teams, working to support a wide range of Government policies in relation to one of the areas outlined below:
- The Analytical Solutions Team works across a wide and growing range of analytical areas including social security, funded and unfunded pensions, as well as bespoke analysis and model building for Government. The team serves as a platform for innovation and change within GAD. We will look to you to pro-actively contribute to this by embracing new technologies and ways of working as well as spread their use across GAD.
- The Public Service Pension Schemes Team works with a wide range of public service clients and provides a high-quality consultancy service that helps serve some of the largest pension schemes in the country. The team is responsible for providing advice to sponsoring departments related to actuarial valuations, accounts, actuarial factors and general consultancy for public service pension schemes. We are looking for people with strong business development skills, who will be able to partner effectively with clients to understand their needs and take forward initiatives for the development of new business which add value for the public sector.
We are an inclusive organisation which values the strength of a diverse team, supported through staff networks and an active Diversity and Inclusion strategy.
Please indicate your preferred team in your application form.
Please refer to the job description for more information about the role and the assessment criteria.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
As well as competitive salaries, we offer a substantial package of benefits:
- 25 days annual leave per year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service. In addition we offer 9 days public and privilege days leave per year (pro rata for part time staff)
- Generous defined benefit Civil Service pension scheme
- Family-friendly policies such as help with caring responsibilities, special leave, generous paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Access to employee assistance programme and occupational health
- Community volunteering programme, the opportunity to join a trade union, and discounted membership of local and national sports and social groups
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- Salary advances for travel costs, including annual season tickets and cycle-to-work schemes
- Complimentary Bupa health check for permanent staff
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check
Selection process details
Application deadline: 12:00 pm on 26 July 2022
Shortlisting: Week commencing 1 August 2022
Interview location: London, EC4A 1AB