About the Government Actuary’s Department
The Government Actuary’s Department (GAD) provides actuarial advice to the UK Government and a range of public service departments regarding their pension provisions and risk management. As a ‘shared service’ supplier to the UK government, we work as actuaries and advisers for the public sector (UK and overseas) and also for private sector clients, where this is consistent with government policy and does not impair our ability to serve the UK government.
The role of Analyst
‘Have you ever thought about working as an analyst? and in the heart of government? Do you enjoy analysing large datasets and helping others to make decisions that will have long-term implications for the country?
You will play a crucial role in GAD’s work, by:
- working collaboratively with colleagues to produce high quality advice and analysis to government
- building models which are used both within GAD, by our clients and in the wider public
- analysing workforce and pension scheme data to better understand cost drivers for pension schemes within the public service
- analysing data regarding government’s contingent liabilities and other risks to help inform policy decisions and allow for effective financial planning
To help you carry out this work, we will help you develop your skills with the tools we use for data analysis, including R, Python, SAS, and Excel/VBA.
You will also develop project management skills, and you will be given support in both time and material to further your studies through formal training and qualifications. Recently, some analysts in GAD have started a degree-level data science apprenticeship and others have attained qualifications as Chartered Actuarial Analysts.
GAD has several opportunities for analysts to go on secondment with other government departments. These secondments will help you to broaden your skills and see how analysis is used throughout the public sector.
The Civil Service has recently established the Analysis Function, which brings together analytical professionals across government including GAD’s actuaries and analysts. We see GAD’s analysts playing an increasingly large role within the function allowing them to develop networks with other analysts in government.
We fully believe that diverse teams really are the best teams. Given recent events, we also know that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable, and while we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we are happy to be asked. All we ask is that you bring your enthusiasm and passion to the job, and we will bring a strong organisational culture to help you develop.
We are recruiting at Analyst Band 1 and Band 2 level, whilst the criteria below is the same for both Analyst Band 1 and 2, an assessment will be made on the level of skills/experience at the interview stage and the offer will depend on the outcome of this.
As well as competitive salaries, we offer a substantial package of benefits:
- Extensive talent, career and personal development
- 25 days annual leave per year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service. In addition we offer 9 days public and privilege days leave per year (pro rata for part time staff)
- Generous defined benefit Civil Service pension scheme
- Family-friendly policies such as help with caring responsibilities, special leave, generous paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Access to employee assistance programme and occupational health
- Community volunteering programme, the opportunity to join a trade union, and discounted membership of local and national sports and social groups
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- Salary advances for travel costs, including annual season tickets and cycle-to-work schemes
- Complimentary BUPA health check for permanent staff
Shortly after the vacancy closing date, you will be invited to complete a video interview and some online tests. You will be provided more information closer to time and full support will be available.
If you have a disability and require any help completing this form or if you would like it in an alternative format, or have any queries regarding the application process please contact Capita Resourcing by e-mail [email protected]