Bupa‘s purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
Health insurance accounts for the major part of our business with 16.7m customers and contributes around 75% of revenue. We operate clinics, dental centres and hospitals in some markets, with around 15m customers. We care for around 22,300 residents in our aged care businesses in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Spain.
We directly employ around 80,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Chile, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Turkey, the US, Brazil, the Middle East and Ireland. We also have associate businesses in Saudi Arabia and India.
Gain a deep and valuable insight into the actuarial world after your second year at university and give a bright start to your future career with our 12 month undergraduate industrial placement.
Whether you know what you want to do in the future or are still working that out, we believe it’s really important to try it for yourself. That’s why over the course of the placement, you’ll complete two 6 month rotations across the breadth of our actuarial functions.
The functions on offer include:
- Financial Control and Reporting
- Regulatory Reporting
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- Commercial Finance
- Internal Audit
No two days are the same during the 12-month placement. You’ll face a well balanced mix of challenges, mutual support and accelerated skills development through our development programme. You’ll also shadow senior colleagues to gain valuable insight and enhance your network.
At the end of a successful placement, there is the potential to be fast-tracked for a place on our graduate scheme.
What we’re looking for
Do you think about helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives? Bupa does, and not only for its customers, but for all its employees. As a global health and care company, everything we do is driven by our purpose. If you share our ambition and you’re equally as passionate about our values and putting customers front and centre, then Bupa is the place to start your Actuarial career.
- Must have the right to work in the UK
- Current undergraduate student due to start your penultimate year of study in September 2021 (i.e. due to graduate in 2023)
- Numerical based degree, such as (but not limited to) Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or Economics.
- Be on track to achieve, or have already achieved, at least a 2.1 in your degree
- Have achieved an ABB at A- Level or equivalent, with a minimum grade in A -Level Maths (or equivalent).
- Curious and inquisitive, challenging the status quo, flexible and adaptable and tenacious and resilient
- Effective self-organisation and ability to plan ahead, to complete tasks to deadlines.
- Positive, can-do attitude, pro-active and take the initiative.
- Good problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Team player, able to work collaboratively with others and influence.
- Strong self-awareness with a drive and commitment to own development
- Able to take a commercial approach
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
To apply, please click below.
You’ll need an up to date CV and to complete our short application form question about your passion for Actuarial and motivation for Bupa.
We’ll review your application and, if successful, you’ll be asked to complete online logical and verbal reasoning ability tests. If you’re successful at this stage, we’ll invite you to complete a video interview where you can really show us your motivation for our values. The final stage of our recruitment process will be an assessment day which is likely to take place virtually.
What our current placement students say…
“The main thing the Bupa placement programme has meant to me personally is that it has given me a really positive first insight into the world of work on a wider basis and a fantastic opportunity to engage with high level people who are both very easy and willing to engage with me. The opportunities to explore multiple potential career avenues through the programme have been great and I have learnt a whole number of technical skills, but more importantly it has introduced me to some great people and I have developed my interpersonal skills massively, particularly in the professional context. The support that I have received from my manager, team members and the HR team has been really good.” Rory, University of Lancaster Student.