Are you ready to create a brighter future together?
At Zurich our brand purpose is exactly that, to create a brighter future together for our customers, our partners, employees and the planet. It’s a promise that for our customers we will put their needs at the heart of everything we do. For our employees – let’s grow and develop together, for our partners – let’s collaborate together to create mutual value, and for the planet – let’s drive positive impact by integrating our sustainability work into how we do business.
Want to play a critical part in our business working alongside some of the most qualified actuaries and analysts in the industry? You’ll be learning from some of our most talented colleagues, all of whom are eager to inspire and guide you to be your best.
What can I look forward to?
We want to develop future actuarial leaders that understand the breadth of our actuarial teams and how they contribute to great customer protection and outcomes.
We provide insurance solutions for an immense range of customers: from members of the public, through small and medium sized enterprises, to local government organisations and large multi-national corporations. Our actuarial teams drive the pricing and reserving for all these markets. You’ll be expected to apply actuarial techniques to support critical commercial decisions, as well as the management and reporting of our business.
Within our General Insurance business, which looks after all non-life products such as Motor, Property and Liability, there are two sub streams:
- In the actuarial reserving team, you’ll be calculating the expected level of future claims. By applying statistical techniques, analysing trends as well as experience against expectations, communicating business insight and estimating capital requirements you’ll become a valuable member of the reserving function.
- In the actuarial pricing team, you’ll help to set the prices for the insurance policies we sell by calculating which risk characteristics lead to higher or lower expected claims costs. As part of this you’ll find yourself analysing profitability, improving approaches to customer segmentation, and developing market-leading pricing technology.
There is no mandatory rotation between roles on the General Insurance stream – instead graduates will be placed into one specific role in Reserving or Pricing. Movement within and between sub streams & roles is very common as an actuary progresses through their career, but this will be determined by individual preference and availability. There is also an international rotation programme which offers the chance for actuaries with some experience to go on a 2-year placement in another country’s actuarial team.
To help guide you through your early experiences we run a mentoring scheme to help give you advice with structuring your exam and revision time. This is all underpinned by a comprehensive study support programme including membership and examination fees, study and revision materials, tutorials and up to 54 days paid study leave a year. Your salary will increase as you progress through the exams, and a qualified actuary can typically expect to earn more than £50,000.
In addition, there is an internal ‘Actuarial Academy’ programme which supplements the graduate scheme and actuarial exams to give you all the on-the-job development and shadowing opportunities you need to be a successful actuary.
What’s in it for me?
As well as joining a company that is passionate about sustainability and our customers, you can expect:
- £32,500 starting salary
- An excellent study support scheme
- 25 days holiday plus an additional 3 volunteering days
- Full private medical cover
- 12% company pension contribution
- Annual company bonus
- Discounted gym membership, discounted gadget insurance
- Discounted technology offers
In return you’ll be joining a business where creating a brighter, more sustainable future underpins all that we do here in Zurich. We’re also passionate about diversity and inclusion, which we have won numerous awards for. We want our people to bring the whole of themselves to work and everybody is made to feel welcome, regardless of their background, beliefs or culture.
What you’ll need?
- On course to achieve, or have recently achieved, a 2:1 degree or higher in any STEM subject
- At least 112 UCAS points – (or equivalent) from 3 A-level subjects which must include Maths at grade A
- A* to C grade (9 to 4) in Maths and English GCSE
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills, the ability to learn new technical skills and be comfortable with large amounts of data
- Willingness to work towards achieving FIA – Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries professional qualification
Here, you’ll have every opportunity to use your drive and enthusiasm to innovate the future of Zurich where different opinions are valued, personal needs are respected, and opportunity is equal for all.
So, make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.