Are you analytically minded with an eye for detail? We have an incredible opportunity to join us here at Phoenix Group as a Trainee Actuary.
Who are we?
We want to be the best organisation that any of our colleagues have ever worked for. We’re a FTSE 100 organisation and are the UK’s largest long-term savings and retirement business. Our brands include Standard Life and SunLife. We have 13 million policies and around £270 billion of assets under administration. We’re committed to providing the very best experiences for our customers, and we want to make real change in the world. We are working to build a sustainable future, and we will be net zero in our operations by 2025.
We’ve seen huge growth and change, and this means there is enormous opportunity for our colleagues to grow alongside us. You can read more about us here.
Flexible working You can expect to work in a hybrid manner with time spent working in the office and at home. We are recruiting for our offices based in Edinburgh, Telford and Wythall in the West Midlands. The flexible working practices support Phoenix’s belief that work/life balance offers benefits for customers as well as ensuring that you can balance a successful career with your life outside of work. We will discuss flexibility, what is important to you and balancing this with business requirements during the recruitment process.
We want to hire the whole version of you.
We are committed to ensuring that everyone feels accepted and safe at work, and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Everyone is valued at Phoenix regardless of age, gender identity, neurodiversity, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic background or anything else. Whether it’s joining one of our internal employee networks, being an ally to colleagues or simply being there to listen, everyone at Phoenix is valued and respected.
You will join us as a Trainee Actuary as part of our Actuarial Programme.
You will help ensure the financial security and stability of the Phoenix business by managing risk and capital effectively. You can expect to:
- Study towards becoming a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA)
- Receive a comprehensive and fully supported study package that includes paid leave and funding for revision materials, including tutorials. You will be given the flexibility to make a study plan that works for you and will join our internal Actuarial community, which organises Continuous Professional Development, Professional Skills Training and networking events
- Have the opportunity to work in multiple teams across an exciting range of business areas including financial reporting, capital and risk management, developing and supporting our investment strategies, as well as contributing to the commercial success of our propositions to name a few
- Rotate around different business areas to provide you with a more holistic view of the organisation and broader level of experience – this will help you meet the IFoA’s Personal and Professional Development (PPD) requirements, as well as developing your understanding of the needs of different stakeholders
We know being an Actuary is about more than just technical knowledge. Your personal growth story will involve developing professional and soft skills alongside your qualification which will be supported by the wider Graduate Programme.
What are we looking for?
This is a great opportunity for someone with a highly numerate, analytical mind to progress their career with a market leading organisation. We’re looking for passion, curiosity and the ability to problem solve. We aren’t expecting you to have the experience and knowledge from day one, and we’re here to support you.
We are looking for candidates to achieve (or who are on track to achieve):
- At least a 2:1 degree, or post-graduate qualification, in an analytically based subject such as mathematics, scientific or economics based areas.
- At least a B grade at A level, Higher or equivalent in Mathematics
What’s in it for you?
We’ve created a rewarding work environment that trusts your judgement and empowers you to take personal responsibility, while giving you the space to grow and develop.
- Competitive Salary with annual performance and salary reviews, pension plan, income protection, employee assistance programme
- A generous holiday entitlement
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible benefits package which allows you to choose the benefits that best suit you, from additional protection and health products, extra holiday and corporate discounts. We also offer Matching Shares and Share Save Schemes
- Opportunities to contribute to social and charity activities, helping us to give back to the communities we live and work in
Are you ready to start your career at Phoenix? We can’t wait to hear from you.