Your role at a glance
Are you looking for a summer internship that is technically challenging? One that develops commercial acumen alongside your technical skills?
We’re looking for undergraduates who can answer “yes” to the above for our 2022 L&G Actuarial and Finance Summer Internship scheme. If you are successful you will join Legal & General’s well-regarded actuarial and finance communities, which plays a pivotal role in our continued business success.
This is an 8 weeks summer internship with a start date of 4th July 2022.
What you’ll be doing
Actuarial and finance work is central to ensuring a profitable, well run insurance business and your work will support the success of a FTSE 100 company. Our actuaries work throughout the business measuring, predicting and managing areas of the business with the aim of giving its customers ‘value for money’. Our accounting teams work throughout the group functions including Tax, Treasury, Financial Reporting, Risk Analytics and Expense and Ledger Management.
You will be assigned either an actuarial or finance team to work with over the course of the 8-week internship. You will also take part in an induction week designed to introduce you to L&G and help prepare you for the remainder of the internship. Over the course of the internship you will have the chance to interact with different teams, hear from senior speakers and network with your fellow interns. Some of the day to day activities could include:
- Performing actuarial investigations and calculations to produce profitability information and management reports for our products.
- Managing the production of regular experience investigations for our products in order to understand the impact of changes in mortality, morbidity, expenses and persistency.
- Delivering the company and statutory financial reporting results to tight deadlines, including the supporting commentary.
- Collecting and analysing market data to provide insight and aide the pricing actuaries in setting insurance prices.
- Summarising performance of insurance products to present to senior management to aid in decision making.
- Support the actuaries in product developments, commercial deals and pricing innovations.
- Supporting the delivery of financial information, reporting and MI to other business areas.
- Accurate record keeping in the ledger and daily process records, and timely and accurate filing and storage.
- Preparation of the reporting and MI required for internal and external regulatory reporting, audit and compliance.
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships and communications with other parts of the business to ensure delivery of effective processes and procedures.
- Perform, under guidance, the tasks necessary to enable the continuous improvement of the team’s financial reporting systems and processes.
- Support on finance projects.
- Building MI to have insight to better serve our customers as well as identifying strengths/weaknesses in our business.
But most importantly you will be learning new skills and gaining knowledge of how our business works!
What we’re looking for
First and foremost, we are looking for people with an inquisitive mind and a desire to learn. We’re not expecting prior industry experience, but we’ll want to see that you have the tools to develop quickly. These include:
- Currently an undergraduate, in your penultimate or final year of study
- On track to receive a 2:1 in you degree subject
- Knowledge of the use of Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Analytical mind-set, with a high level of numeracy
- Great communication skills
- Flexible and a team-player
- High levels of interest, dynamism and commitment
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise effectively
An internship offers you the chance to gain valuable work experience and develop and refine skills that will be useful for you in your future career.Visit Website for More Information and to Apply