We are currently open for applications across Actuarial, Investment and Insurance (Actuarial), please don’t submit an application for each area, but make sure you pick the one you prefer most!
Barnett Waddingham is a leading independent UK professional services consultancy advising on risk, pensions, investment and insurance. With over 1500 people across 9 offices, our culture is based on providing all of our clients with a high quality, professional service through strong personal relationships and tailored solutions. We are wholly owned by Partners so we can take a longer-term view. We are dependent on talented and well-trained employees who enjoy working for a leading organisation in a closely knit and friendly team. To achieve this – and further support our continued growth as an independent, resilient and evergreen business – we need talented, motivated and enthusiastic graduates who value the chance to join our graduate programme.
We pride ourselves on being a friendly and inclusive firm, which maintains its core value or Principled, Quality, Partnership and Respect. We have a supportive structure in place to help you manage your work/life balance. Increasing our talented workforce is imperative to maintaining a proactive and competitive business, which is why our study support package and dedicated training team are always on hand for guidance throughout our graduate programme and beyond. Look at what graduates, who recently joined us have to say:
“I joined Barnett Waddingham as part of the 2021 graduate intake, and ever since I started at the firm I have felt a valued member of the team and have been well supported in my work. The company’s culture centres around doing the right thing this shines through in the way BW is committed to supporting clients, but also in how BW puts emphasis on staff wellbeing and development.”
“Barnett Waddingham offer a very generous study support package that provides me with the time off work and resources I need to study effectively for my exams. I also get continued support from my study mentor, who provides me with advice on the best way to prepare for my exams.”
The Actuarial Insurance Graduate programme
All of our graduates get early opportunities to work directly with clients and plenty of training to develop their technical and communication skills.
Our Actuarial Consultants will be working on the following tasks:
- The Actuarial team provides a variety of actuarial services to defined benefit pension schemes
- We help our clients understand and manage the key risks and considerations associated with running their pension scheme
- As well as the traditional services offered, there are opportunities to be involved in building up our capabilities in other exciting areas of the firm
- One example is the data analytics work, which involves us client management data to make sense, model impact and deliver recommendations on business opportunities
Our trainee actuarial consultants develop a broad, transferable skillset which covers both technical and consulting matters. You will also have opportunities to work on a wide range of projects and to develop your softer skills.
Sustainability goes beyond electric cars, wind turbines and Fairtrade chocolate. Narrow views of sustainability will leave us with very few options.
Our independence means we’re free to think beyond standard environmental, social and governance (ESG) labels and start conversations that consider the full universe of sustainable action.
From holistic data-driven approaches towards impact investing and responsible business strategies, to simpler, everyday improvements that combine social and environmental benefits. Whatever your goals and ambitions, we’re ready to talk and help shape a more sustainable future for you.
Who are we looking for?
Our current graduate vacancies require a minimum 2:1 degree, A at A-Level Maths and Level 6 at GCSE English Language (or other equivalent qualifications), we require dedicated individuals with a strong academic background who are dynamic, proactive and have excellent communication skills.
Once you submit your CV and pass the eligibility criteria stage you will be invited to complete the cognitive test and the application form. (PLEASE CHECK YOUR JUNK/SPAM REGULARLY!) The application form is an important part of the process as we will get an idea of your motivations and interest in working at Barnett Waddingham. You will be able to find lots of hints & tips with regards to completing the application form online, but for ease we’ve outlined a few below:
- Focus on answering the questions and avoid being too vague.
- Do your research on BW and know about the professional qualifications that we offer.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for the role.
- Ensure your spelling and grammar is correct.
- Please use the correct terminology ie. I want to work as an Actuary instead of I want to work as an Actuarial or I want to work in Actuary
The recruitment process takes place throughout the summer and we’re organising all our assessment days in November 2023. In some locations we may recruit through to early next year. Please note, for some offices we will be recruiting on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply as soon as you’re ready.
We look forward reviewing your application!
Working at BW: Total Reward
Here is a summary of our benefits:
- Competitive discretionary annual bonus
- Life assurance (4x as standard, up to 10x)
- Group income protection up to 65% of salary
- Private medical cover from Day One
- 25 days holiday per year and up to 30 days with holiday trading
- Generous pension scheme (we contribute 8% as standard, can be increased)
- Sports Allowance – we pay up to 50% of your gym/sports membership (up to £50 pcm)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Complimentary fresh fruit, hot and cold drinks in all our offices
- Paid volunteering day per year as a commitment to our Corporate Social Investment
- Support your favourite charity with the “Give as You Earn” option
- Match-funding for individuals raising money for a recognised charity
- Corporate social investment programme
- Funded training and professional development
- Lots of clubs, sporting events, social, cultural and belief groups across our offices
- Tech scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Healthcare cash plan
- Health assessments
- Subsidised Dental cover
- Subsidised Critical illness cover
- Subsidised extension of private medical cover or life assurance to family members
- Discounted gym membership
- Subsidised Travel insurance
- Broad range of cash back offers and discounts at hundreds of retailers including supermarkets, fitness centres, travel and leisure companies
- Corporate social investment (CSI), Wellbeing and Diversity and inclusion initiatives throughout BW activities
We are a Disability Confident Employer. If you have a disability, learning difficulty, medical condition, or individual need, which you believe may affect your performance during our selection process, we’ll be happy to make adjustments to our processes to enable you a fair opportunity to showcase your skills. Please visit AbilityNet should you benefit from advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
Postal applications should be sent to: Resourcing & Talent Acquisition, Barnett Waddingham, St James’s House, St James Square, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 3PR