Applicants should be in their penultimate year of studies and graduating from an undergraduate or master’s degree programme in 2024
Barnett Waddingham is a leading independent UK professional services consultancy advising on risk, pensions, investment and insurance. With over 1500 people across 9 offices, our culture is based on providing all of our clients with a high-quality, professional service through strong personal relationships and tailored solutions. We are wholly owned by Partners so we can take a longer-term view. We are dependent on talented and well-trained employees who enjoy working for a leading organisation in a closely knit and friendly team.
We pride ourselves on being a friendly and inclusive firm, which maintains its core values of Principled, Quality, Partnership and Respect. We have a supportive structure in place to help you manage your work/life balance. Increasing our talented workforce is imperative to maintaining a proactive and competitive business, which is why our study support package and dedicated training team are always on hand for guidance throughout our graduate programme and beyond.
Many students who have completed our summer internship have gone on to develop their career with us after university as part of our graduate programme. Look at what a recent summer student has to say:
“Since joining Barnett Waddingham as a Summer Intern I have been impressed by the company’s supportive culture. I have received vast amounts of insightful training and advice from the team, who are always happy to help. It is this culture that has been invaluable to my professional development. Early into the internship, I was given significant responsibility, from working independently on projects, to attending meetings with clients. This responsibility has meant that I truly feel as if I have contributed to the success of the firm, as opposed to working on trivial tasks. I have also been surprised by BW’s lively social scene, from frequent team lunches and after-work drinks to netball and football tournaments with the other offices”
Our Summer Internship Programme 2023
We run an eight-week paid summer internship programme that offers first class training and work experience enabling you to gain an excellent understanding of the role a consultant undertakes within the firm, how our business operates and the opportunity to learn from our Partners and dedicated mentors.
Our summer interns have the opportunity to join one of the following areas of the firm for the eight-week programme:
- The Actuarial team provides a variety of actuarial services to defined benefit pension schemes
- We help our clients understand and manage risks and considerations associated with running their pension scheme
- As well as traditional services offered, there are opportunities to be involved in building up our capabilities in other exciting areas of the firm
- One example is data analytics work, which involves us using client management data to make sense, model impact and deliver recommendations on business opportunities
- The Insurance and Longevity Consulting (ILC) team provides market-leading advice and support covering actuarial, investment, longevity and risk management projects.
- Summer Interns joining the ILC team will swiftly gain relevant business and actuarial knowledge, which may be used in combination with software and coding skills.
- Our growing client base covers a broad range of life and general insurance firms, from captive insurers and friendly societies to FTSE 100 companies and Lloyd’s syndicates, as well as regulators and industry bodies.
- The Investment team provides investment advice and services to a range of organisations including pension schemes, local authorities, endowment funds, charities and high-net-worth families.
- No one day is the same for our trainee – you will gain exposure in a wide variety of areas including producing and presenting tailored investment strategy advice and carrying out technical analysis
- Opportunity to get involved in the investment research which underpins our ability to provide clients with the advice they need.
If successful in the summer internship you could be offered a position on our 2024 graduate programme. Our graduates will start professional exams through the institute faculty of Actuaries (IFOA) or Certified Financial Analyst (CFA)
Who are we looking for?
Our current summer internship vacancies require you to be on track for a minimum 2:1 degree, A at A-Level Maths and Level 6 at GCSE English Language (or other equivalent qualifications), we require dedicated individuals with a strong academic background who are dynamic, proactive and have excellent communication skills.