Barnett Waddingham is a partner-led business which prides itself in providing straightforward and well communicated actuarial advice. This philosophy means that we are dependent on talented and well-trained employees who enjoy working in a closely knit and friendly organisation.
Our Insurance and Longevity Consulting (ILC) Team provides consultancy services to a range of insurance and non-insurance clients. Our clients range from large multinationals and small niche insurers to regulators and the Actuarial Profession, based across a range of territories. The ILC Team is based in London and has around 40 staff of which half are qualified actuaries.
Barnett Waddingham is committed to providing the best possible service to all of its clients. We operate in a friendly and supportive environment. Our team consists of talented, motivated and enthusiastic individuals who support the development of our business.
Due to our continuing successful new business wins we are looking to recruit 2 new people in to our team! We are interested in candidates with GI experience in either of the following distinct areas: capital modelling (or model validation) or reserving.
We have a variety of our work which means you may be involved in other projects such pricing and wider risk management offerings too.
Other attributes we are looking for:
- Detail-oriented, yet able to understand and effectively communicate key results to both actuaries and non-actuaries.
- Confident in managing both your own work and that of others.
- Comfortable in working outside of your comfort zone.
- Able to take a hands-on approach and aren’t afraid of getting your hands dirty.
- Able to work independent and as part of a team.
- Highly technical or with mathematical/statistical background.
- Highly organised, you have the ability to work on multiple clients and tasks and meet deadlines.
- Able to drive and lead small workstreams or small engagements.
- A team player, with the ability and confidence to liaise and communicate with stakeholders both internally and externally.
- A problem solver, love finding solutions to complex problems.
If you have also used Tyche or have programming skills in R or Python, that would be amazing!
If you would like to work for one of the UK’s leading consultancies at the forefront of insurance, risk, pensions and investment, click to apply now!
To be considered you will be a part or fully qualified actuary with experience of working within the general insurance (GI) sector.
You will have either capital modelling, model validation or reserving experience
What’s in it for you?
Core & Flexible Benefits:
- Competitive discretionary annual bonus
- Core benefits paid for by BW including life assurance, group income protection, private medical cover and 25 days holiday per year with holiday trading
- A generous pension scheme where we contribute 8% of your salary from day one of your employment
- Employee Assistance Programme to support you and your family through any concerns or challenges you may experience
- A comprehensive range of voluntary benefits to suit your life stage and lifestyle including a tech scheme, cycle to work scheme, dental cover, healthcare cash plan, health assessments, critical illness cover, extension of private medical cover or life assurance to family members, gym membership, travel insurance and a broad range of discounts at hundreds of retailers including supermarkets, fitness centres, travel and leisure companies
- Fresh fruit, hot and cold drinks provided free of charge in all of our offices
Giving Something Back:
- 1 paid volunteering day per year as a commitment to our Corporate Social Investment
- Support your favourite charity with the “Give as You Earn” option
- Match-funding for individuals raising money for a recognised charity
- Our corporate social investment programme is an integral part of what we do and is focused on ensuring that our overall impact is a positive one. We recognise that we have an impact that goes beyond our core activities.
Values: our values are PRINCIPLED, RESPECT, QUALITY AND PARTNERSHIP – they are important to us and we want them to be important to you as well.
Wellbeing: employee wellbeing has always been important to us and our approach is to create an environment where individuals will be engaged at work, successful in what they do and able to achieve their full potential, benefiting both their self and the business. BW offer a great range of employee benefits as we believe it’s important individuals are supported in making choices which are flexible enough to meet their needs and help support their wellness.
Diversity: we are committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce where people from all backgrounds, beliefs and perspectives can thrive, feel welcome and develop to their full potential. Our recruitment processes are designed to be fair and consistent and enable candidates to compete on a level playing field.
Your progression: we offer career progression opportunities and a focus on training and professional development to provide you with the tools and skills to thrive. We also offer study support for relevant professional or skills qualifications.
Other activities: we have clubs, sporting events, social, cultural and belief groups across our offices if you’d like to join in and meet like-minded people.