*****Applicants should be in their penultimate year of studies and graduating from an undergraduate or master’s degree programme in 2025*****
***** LONDON is VERY competitive, please carefully consider your location preference when completing your application*****
*****UPDATE 5 SEPTEMBER 2023 – AFTER 1 MONTH ADVERTISING WE’VE HAD 300+ POSITIONS FOR LONDON. WE ‘ONLY RECRUIT 5 INTERNS IN LONDON. IF YOU CAN, PLEASE CONSIDER OTHER OFFICES*****
Barnett Waddingham is a leading independent UK professional services consultancy advising on risk, pensions, investment and insurance. With over 1500 people across 9 offices, our culture is based on providing all of our clients with a high quality, professional service through strong personal relationships and tailored solutions. We are wholly owned by Partners so we can take a longer-term view. We are dependent on talented and well-trained employees who enjoy working for a leading organisation in a closely knit and friendly team. To achieve this – and further support our continued growth as an independent, resilient and evergreen business – we need talented, motivated and enthusiastic graduates who value the chance to join our graduate programme
We pride ourselves on being a friendly and inclusive firm, which maintains its core values of Principled, Quality, Partnership and Respect. We have a supportive structure in place to help you manage your work/life balance. Increasing our talented workforce is imperative to maintaining a proactive and competitive business, which is why our study support package and dedicated training team are always on hand for guidance throughout our graduate programme and beyond.
Many students who have completed our summer internship have gone on to develop their career with us after university as part of our graduate programme. Look at what a recent summer student has to say:
“Since joining Barnett Waddingham as a Summer Intern I have been impressed by the company’s supportive culture. I have received vast amounts of insightful training and advice from the team, who are always happy to help. It is this culture that has been invaluable to my professional development. Early into the internship, I was given significant responsibility, from working independently on projects, to attending meetings with clients. This responsibility has meant that I truly feel as if I have contributed to the success of the firm, as opposed to working on trivial tasks. I have also been surprised by BW’s lively social scene, from frequent team lunches and after-work drinks to netball and football tournaments with the other offices”
Our Summer Internship Programme 2024
We run an eight-week paid summer internship programme that offers first class training and work experience enabling you to gain an excellent understanding of the role a consultant undertakes within the firm, how our business operates and the opportunity to learn from our Partners and dedicated mentors.
The internship will be across our Actuarial Consulting and Investment Consulting business area, an indication on the work below:
- The Actuarial Consulting team provides a variety of actuarial services to defined benefit pension schemes (which include Public Sector Funds)
- We help our clients understand and manage the key risks and considerations associated with running their pension scheme
- As well as traditional services offered, there are opportunities to be involved in building up our capabilities in other exciting areas of the firm. One example is data analytics work, which involves us using client management data to make sense, model impact and deliver recommendations on business opportunities.
- The Investment Consulting team provides investment advice and services to a range of organisations including pension schemes, local authorities, endowment funds, charities and high net worth families. You will gain exposure in a wide variety of areas including producing and presenting tailored investment strategy advice and carrying out technical analysis.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to choose which area of the firm you would like to work in.
Who are we looking for?
Our current summer internship vacancies require for you to be on track for a minimum 2:1 degree, A at A-Level Maths and Level 6 at GCSE English (or other equivalent qualifications), we require dedicated individuals with a strong academic background who are dynamic, proactive and have excellent communication skills.
Once you submit your CV and pass the eligibility criteria stage you will be invited to complete the cognitive test and the application form. (PLEASE CHECK YOUR JUNK/SPAM REGULARLY!) The application form is an important part of the process as we will get an idea of your motivations and interest in working at Barnett Waddingham. You will be able to find lots of hints & tips with regards to completing the application form online, but for ease we’ve outlined a few below:
- Focus on answering the questions and avoid being too vague.
- Do your research on BW and know about the professional qualifications that we offer.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for the role.
- Ensure your spelling and grammar is correct.
- Please use the correct terminology ie. I want to work as an Actuary instead of I want to work as an Actuarial or I want to work in Actuary
The recruitment process takes place throughout the summer and we’re organising all our assessment days in November 2023. In some locations we may recruit through to early next year. Please note, for some offices we will be recruiting on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply as soon as you’re ready.
We look forward reviewing your application!