*****Applicants should be in their penultimate year of studies and graduating from an undergraduate or master’s degree programme in 2025*****
Barnett Waddingham is a leading independent UK professional services consultancy advising on risk, pensions, investment and insurance. With over 1500 people across 9 offices, our culture is based on providing all of our clients with a high quality, professional service through strong personal relationships and tailored solutions. We are wholly owned by Partners so we can take a longer-term view. We are dependent on talented and well-trained employees who enjoy working for a leading organisation in a closely knit and friendly team. To achieve this – and further support our continued growth as an independent, resilient and evergreen business – we need talented, motivated and enthusiastic graduates who value the chance to join our graduate programme
We pride ourselves on being a friendly and inclusive firm, which maintains its core values of Principled, Quality, Partnership and Respect. We have a supportive structure in place to help you manage your work/life balance. Increasing our talented workforce is imperative to maintaining a proactive and competitive business, which is why our study support package and dedicated training team are always on hand for guidance throughout our graduate programme and beyond.
Many students who have completed our summer internship have gone on to develop their career with us after university as part of our graduate programme. Look at what a recent summer student has to say:
“Since joining Barnett Waddingham as a Summer Intern I have been impressed by the company’s supportive culture. I have received vast amounts of insightful training and advice from the team, who are always happy to help. It is this culture that has been invaluable to my professional development. Early into the internship, I was given significant responsibility, from working independently on projects, to attending meetings with clients. This responsibility has meant that I truly feel as if I have contributed to the success of the firm, as opposed to working on trivial tasks. I have also been surprised by BW’s lively social scene, from frequent team lunches and after-work drinks to netball and football tournaments with the other offices”
Our Summer Internship Programme 2024
We run an eight-week paid summer internship programme that offers first class training and work experience enabling you to gain an excellent understanding of the role a consultant undertakes within the firm, how our business operates and the opportunity to learn from our Partners and dedicated mentors.
The internship will be across our Insurance & Longevity business area, an indication on the work below:
- The Insurance and Longevity (ILC) team provides market-leading advice and support covering actuarial, investment, longevity and risk management projects
- Our growing client base covers a broad range of life and general insurance firms, from captive insurers and friendly societies to FTSE 100 companies and Lloyd’s syndicates, as well as regulators and industry bodies
- Summer interns joining the ILC team will get exposure to how relevant business and actuarial knowledge is used to give advice to our clients, as well experience of using the software and tools used to carry out the technical analysis backing our advice.
Who are we looking for?
Our current summer internship vacancies require for you to be on track for a minimum 2:1 degree, A at A-Level Maths and Level 6 at GCSE English (or other equivalent qualifications), we require dedicated individuals with a strong academic background who are dynamic, proactive and have excellent communication skills.
Once you submit your CV and pass the eligibility criteria stage you will be invited to complete the cognitive test and the application form. (PLEASE CHECK YOUR JUNK/SPAM REGULARLY!) The application form is an important part of the process as we will get an idea of your motivations and interest in working at Barnett Waddingham. You will be able to find lots of hints & tips with regards to completing the application form online, but for ease we’ve outlined a few below:
- Focus on answering the questions and avoid being too vague.
- Do your research on BW and know about the professional qualifications that we offer.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for the role.
- Ensure your spelling and grammar is correct.
- Please use the correct terminology ie. I want to work as an Actuary instead of I want to work as an Actuarial or I want to work in Actuary
The recruitment process takes place throughout the summer and we’re organising all our assessment days in November 2023. In some locations we may recruit through to early next year. Please note, for some offices we will be recruiting on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply as soon as you’re ready.
We look forward reviewing your application!