As the operation of pensions becomes ever more complex, there is an increasing demand for specialist advice to those businesses running pension schemes, creating opportunities within firms of actuarial and benefit consultants.
These consultancies offer independent expert advice and pensions provision to clients: they design and manage pensions schemes, providing actuarial and administration services.
They will advise clients on:
- Setting up a new scheme
- Assessing member contribution levels
- Valuing the fund in the event that the company’s taken over
- Financial accounting audits
- Dealing with regulation and compliance issues.
Additionally, consultancies will offer a range of services to their clients, such as:
- Enterprise risk management
- Merger and acquisition advice
- Corporate recovery
- Financing capital projects.
The large benefit consultancies are global organisations offering a wide range of attractive training opportunities. Typically you will work on more than one client’s pensions arrangements, so can expect varied exposure to different schemes and issues. Employers include Barnett Waddingham, Hymans Robertson, Punter Southall and Xafinity.